CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 03, 2008

The pink shorts

OK Someone asked about the shorts....No, we are not trying to set a new "biker" trend. The shorts Ava is wearing in the previous photos are called "hip helpers". Because of her very low muscle tone (very typical in kids with Down Syndrome) Ava has very flexible joints. You've seen her doing the splits and pulling her feet over her ears. While it is VERY cute, it isn't necessarily good for her to do that. We try to reserve the Elastigirl poses for Kindergarten Show and Tell and occasionally showing off for neighbors and friends.

The hip helpers help support her legs so she will more easily be able to bear weight on her knees or on her feet without her legs spreading out under her. She wears them under her clothes usually and they really have made a difference in her ability to get up on her knees. When she tries without them, she can't help but fall into the frog position. Cute, but again, not the best for hip support.

i
Hip helpers cost $18 a pair so for now we just have the one (hot pink of course) and meanwhile I found some spandex shorts at Academy that my neighbor sewed together for me that work almost as well. So yes! They are spandex. But no, we aren't training for the Special Olympics. (Not yet anyway.)

7 comments:

June Berger said...

WOW, what a great idea, never heard of them, I'll sure mention it to Jonathan's PT! Isn't Ava the cutest thing standing up!! Praising God for all the progress she has made!

junglemama said...

What a great idea! WHat size is Ava now? Just wondering because she looks like she has grown. Wasn't she in 18 months when you first brought her home?

WheresMyAngels said...

Oh that is what they look like?? They didn't have them back in Mercede and Cheyenne's day! I thought they would look alot different. Now i am upset, cause I wanted some spandex for the girls dresses!! lol

Deb D. said...

What size of these is Ava wearing? Has she grown enough that she is in the largest size? It looks from their website as though they are made primarily for even younger children, but I understand Ava's not quite to an "average" size for her age. So did you have to have custom ones made, or a size they offer?

liesel said...

Deb, thanks for watching the blog and loving Ava. You must be a friend of the Sickafoose family? We enjoyed meeting them in Chicago. She is wearing size C right now and quickly outgrowing them. I bought size 4 Spandex shorts to sew together but they don't work quite as well. I'm going to keep looking for a smaller size. And Christine, Ava is in a size 2t! I tried to put an 18 month outfit on her the other day, one that she wore in the beginning, and I could hardly put it over her chest. She has really filled out and it is apparent by my sore arms! I should get the stroller out more often!

Deb D. said...

Charissa:
I think I must have found your blog through the Sickafoose's. Their cousin is the daughter and sister of two of my co-workers. She has a lovely blog she has been keeping for about 2 years now. She is a young vivacious wife and mom of 2 who is valiantly fighting stomach cancer. (http://beccascancer.blogspot.com)She shared about her cousins adopting the beautiful babies from Vietnam. Their's is probably where I came upon your site. Good thinking! :-)

Anyway, I wanted to give you a head's up.

I have wanted to send a gift for Ava for a while, but couldn't figure out what would be appropriate or timely. When you shared about these little pants, and it was so clear how much they're helping her, I wanted to get her some. So, you should be receiving a package from Hip Helpers hopefully soon. They will be sending her 2 D's and 1 E, just to be ready for her continuing growing. :-) I hope they are a blessing. They are sent with love from one who loves the same Lord as you. (and I lived in Tulsa and worked in the Broken Arrow area some years ago, and before moving there had tutored two precious older adults (age 65+) in English who had immigrated here from Ukraine.) :-)

liesel said...

Deb D....What a blessing. There must be some really generous people living in Indiana because another friend from IN who we have never met has sent several cases of Pediasure as well. I am so grateful!! The Lord bless you!