When I was expecting my first child a little over 10 years ago I read a parenting book that told me how to get my baby to go to sleep by himself and stay asleep during the night. It told me that my baby would be much more pleasant during his waking hours, because he would be well rested, and that he would learn to soothe himself at night instead of demanding that I come rock him back to sleep if he woke up. The catch was, I had to let him cry himself to sleep EVERY time without exception. If I got him into the habit of being rocked or nursed to sleep he would become spoiled and expect the same ritual for every bedtime.
I tried, really I did. But this theory, which made perfect sense before he was born, went against every maternal instinct in my being afterwards. So eventually I threw the book out the window, and rocked every one of my children to sleep after that. Did we have sleep issues throughout the years? Yes. Did my children ever sleep through the night before they were 2 or 3? Not that I remember. Do a couple of them still crawl into bed with us in the middle of the night? Occasionally. Would I change anything? Not at all.
So when we adopted Ava I was really torn. I knew she had not been rocked to sleep a day of her life, she had never felt the comfort of falling asleep in her mother's arms. She slept soundly, peacefully all night, and went to her crib as happy as a lark. But I just couldn't lay her down in that crib without holding her, singing to her, rocking her, laying and snuggling with her, it just didn't seem right. On the other hand I was afraid to ruin a good thing.
Well guess what? I ruined a good thing. The little girl who, 3 months ago, would have layed happily in her little crib, isolated from the world for hours at a time....now cries ever so pitifully when I lay her down. She doesn't want to take a nap, doesn't want to go to bed (thinking of all the excitement she will miss out on, I'm sure). But when someone lays with her, she drifts right to sleep (after giggling for a few minutes, that is). As you can see the excitement of having a little sister has not worn off, the kids are still arguing over who gets to sit with her, who gets to push her in her buggy, or "put her to sleep". Tonight two of them shared the task.
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Posted by liesel at 10:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Sleeping children are one of the most beautiful things on earth! There is nothing better at the end of the day than to look at those peaceful faces before I go to sleep. And, wow, yours are as beautiful as mine. What a precious picture. Night Night little Urbans!
You know what Charissa, GOOD FOR YOU! Mothering instincts are there for a reason ;) Ava is lucky to get to expereince the nurturing she missed out on, and IMO re-learning to NEED human affection is far more important than learning to sleep on your own
Anna (who slept/sleeps with both her children so far)
Oh my goodness...how I remember that book! And how we both decided we just couldn't and wouldn't do it. I was like you, only for three kids-always putting them to sleep. I will make sure my sister, Karyn reads this one. She is dealing with that now with a two year old and another little girl due within three weeks or so!
NO-I haven't totally stopped blogging, but let computer problems get me off track. Thanks for asking-I may change the format and do recipes and family life. I LOVE the new picture you've added!Thanks for reminding me to get back on track!!
I love that you ruined her! These are the things that will stick with us and them long after they leave our nest (the other 4, at least!).
Charissa, how precious.
Charissa, Bless you for snuggling Ava and loving Ava and pulling Ava close to your body and heart, regardless of what she has always known.
I too was torn about helping my Annie go to sleep by rocking her. But, you know what - now I look back on all those times of snuggling her and I never, never regret a single minute of it!
You are attaching to Ava and she is attaching to you and your family, Charissa - that is a wonderful thing!
Hold her close and savor it!
It's something I can't do either. PJ falls asleep in my arms, bottle in his mouth, still at 8 mos. I know I'll be rocking him for a few years, at least. I know I'm doing it "wrong" according to the experts, but there will come a day when he doesn't want to be held, and I'm savoring every moment of him in my arms while I can. So I say, yay for you, and yay for Ava, and thank God she's learning to need family, and be needed by them in return.
We have the same rocking to sleep/waking up in the night issue over here. Apparently I missed that book when I was pregnant! Ugh. At least you have helpers that are old enough to put her to sleep ... that is so cute!
My girls were and still are spoiled! Aysha is almost 4 and is a co-sleeper, trying to figure out when I will be able to end that, if I can!! lol
As I lay here listening to my youngest snore away (yes, she's only 10 months) My mind kept going back to this post.
My little one has me so spoiled. From day 1 she only ate every 4 hours so as a newborn I was getting up twice a night. We would change her diaper, and get her a bottle and yes rock while she took it. Then we could put her right back in her crib. Never a tear. Now at 10 months she falls asleep taking her last bottle of the night. Easy to lay down and we're good for about 10 hours. I'm not sure what will happen when she doesn't want/need that bedtime bottle.
Post a Comment