CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Slowly but surely

The biggest obstacle we are dealing with right now in Ava's developmental progress is her ongoing sensory issues. While she truly is doing so well, she still does not like the feel of her hands touching the floor and her body weight bearing down on her arms. Until she is totally comfortable with it, she'll continue to crawl on her elbows, not the "prettiest" crawl, but it gets her where she needs to go. Still, I am amazed that she sees what she wants, and understands how to get to it. Considering a few months ago, she didn't notice the toys that were in front of her. Well, I decided to post some of the 'not so pretty' pictures of therapy so you can get an idea of what a chore it is for kids with sensory issues to achieve normal developmental milestones. Observe her hands and the wince on her face as the therapist attempts to get her to bear weight on her hands. Again, she has come so far, but still have a long ways to go. She is bearing some weight on her feet, another major feat for having such low muscle tone. Yay, Ava!

Another milestone...Ava has started putting toys in her mouth and chewing on them. I gave her a cracker to see what she would do, and.....she put it in her mouth and bit it. I am so pleased. She is still getting most of her nutrition via bottle, but she can hold it herself now (big progress) and she is able to eat applesauce, and baby food with a spoon on a fairly regular basis.







7 comments:

junglemama said...

I'm sure she'll get it!

Anonymous said...

Wow--Your therapist looks excellent! She works so well with Ava encouraging her yet still making her work for progress. Very cool! Thanks for that peek into Ava's therapy.

-P

Michelle said...

Ava is a champ! Give your therapist a hug from me - she's awesome! Ava is blossoming, and so quickly too! Charissa, you are wonderful too...you work so hard for your family and it shows!

Anonymous said...

Ava is making such amazing progress. Progress isn't always pretty. Our family knows from personal experience that sensory issues can be pretty painful to deal with, so... hats off to you sister.

Anonymous said...

i should have said, progress isn't always pretty, but it's pretty amazing. And what Ava is doing is beautiful. What all your children are doing is beautiful :)

Bethany said...

I know she isn't supposed to be palm up, but she looks so cute and dainty! She will catch on. I know I've said this before, but it looks like to have got a great therapist!

spahrfamily said...

She is so pretty and she has come so far. You guys are awesome. It's so encouraging to see the progress she has made in such a short period of time.
Martha (RR)